How to Prevent Acne Breakouts
The last thing anyone wants to deal with right before a special occasion is a sudden, unexpected acne flare-up. Even worse than that, however, would be skin that is constantly covered with severe acne that never seems to go away. Most of us get a few pimples occasionally, but some people have a chronic, long-term acne condition and have to undergo treatments for many years to keep it under control. Acne-prone skin, also sometimes referred to as blemish-prone skin, is a skin type that frequently has pimples, red bumps, irritation, or other acne symptoms. Acne-prone skin is often oily or shiny (excess oil is one of the most well-known causes of breakouts), but dry skin can also develop acne symptoms if the pores become blocked or the skin is irritated. Fortunately, personalized dermatology care from our Westlake Village-based team at Pierre Skin Care Institute can help you create the right routine to manage the symptoms of acne more effectively.
The best way to treat acne isn’t solely with products, but also making simple changes to your lifestyle. Here are some tips to keep your skin calm and blemish-free:
1. Wash your face twice each day—when you wake up and before you go to bed—and more if you’re sweating. Try to avoid over-washing, however, as this can lead to irritation.
2. Avoid harsh exfoliant scrubs that can cause redness or irritation. Use gentle, mild cleansers.
3. Use non-comedogenic skin care products because they help to prevent pore blockages.
4. While it’s tempting to pop pimples, you should avoid picking or squeezing blemishes on your skin. Rupturing a follicle could result in scarring or cause the bacteria to get into other pores and lead to more severe acne symptoms.
5. Keep anything that touches your skin clean—including makeup brushes, sheets, pillowcases, and phone screens. These items often carry dirt and bacteria that can get into your pores. Washing makeup tools once a day would be ideal, but if that isn’t possible, aim to wash them once a week.
For medical dermatology care in Westlake Village or to find out about our minimally invasive cosmetic procedures, talk to our team at Pierre Skin Care Institute team. Call 805-496-9190 or fill out a contact form to schedule a consultation and meet with our team.