The Dos and Don’ts of BOTOX® Aftercare
When you first notice some faint lines appearing when you raise your eyebrows or furrow your brows in thought, your initial reaction might be to panic. Don’t! Wrinkles are something most of us have to deal with at one time or another, whether due to chronological aging, genetics, sun damage, or other causes. The good news is that if you’re bothered by the presence of these lines and creases, you can actively do something to reduce them. Injections of neuromodulators like BOTOX® are one of the most effective ways to attain a more refreshed, youthful appearance, but although these treatments seem easy and straightforward, they are still a medical procedure and require care, as with any other treatment. Patients who are having BOTOX® injections at our Westlake Village practice should remember these simple tips for getting the best possible results and avoiding complications from the treatment:
Dos After Having BOTOX®
1. Take it easy, relax, and keep your heart rate normal for the rest of the day.
2. Apply ice right after the injections, as well as frequently throughout the next few hours to keep the bruising and swelling down.
3. Return to your normal activities—within reason.
Don’ts for Having BOTOX®
1. It normally takes several days for botulinum toxin-based injectables to start working. Avoid engaging in heavy exercise for at least 24 hours, or however long your injector recommends waiting. Strenuous workouts would increase blood flow to the area, causing the BOTOX® to spread away from the injection site before it has settled into the muscles, decreasing its effectiveness, and worsening bruising.
2. Don’t place too much pressure on the injection site by rubbing or touching the skin for the first few days. This means avoiding facial massages and other skin treatments like fillers or exfoliating scrubs.
3. Avoid sunbathing and other forms of heat exposure like hot tubs and saunas for around 24 hours to reduce bruising.
3. BOTOX® successfully reduces the appearance of unwanted facial wrinkles while still maintaining a natural-looking and expressive face. Get more details on what to expect from BOTOX® at Pierre Skin Care Institute. Give us a call at 805-496-9190 to have your questions answered, or submit a contact form to request a consultation.